Sunday, April 3, 2011

OnebookAZ - Code Talker

I have a personal interest in this book since I'm married to a Navajo woman and her sister's father-in-law is a Code Talker. I believed at first that it was he whom the story was being told by. It wasn't until I was well into the book that Danny Akee was mentioned and I knew then he was not the narrator.

 Joseph Bruchac encourages the reader to turn pages not with gory details of war but rather the easy conversational tone he gives the story. You find yourself pulling for the hero of the story and his Marine buddies. I will not ruin the story for you since I consider this a must read for anyone interested in WWII history and the history of the Dine people and specifically the code talkers.

ONEBOOKAZ is a program for Arizona Libraries to encourage reading. There are programs for everyone in Libraries all around Arizona. Copies of this book and the adult featured book, 'Hopi Summer: Letters from Ethel to Maud by Carolyn O'Bagy Davis', are available for free while supplies last.

I'm happy and proud to have met Dan Akee and having shook his hand. I knew then what he had done but I have even more respect for him and all the others for their courage and bravery. I salute them all and say a prayer for those who did not return.

Update: I just learned of this terrific site with an article about Code Talkers in WWI. I never knew about this. It is a very interesting read and I will be following the links too. Enjoy.


Update: I have just learned of this memoir Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir By One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII and plan to read it. I wanted to get the news out for everyone else that are interested in these stories. I'm glad to see they are finally getting told and getting the recognition they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have only a couple of requests, keep it civil, clean and no spam. Links to relevant content are encouraged.