Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Egg Said Nothing by Caris O'Malley - Rave

It is not often I give two Raves in one day but this one is special. Coming on the heels of The Dharma Bums, of which Caris loaned me his copy, is The Egg Said Nothing. What do these two titles have in common you might ask? Well if I were to give the answer away completely, you would not read the book. But I will give a sneak preview, a glimpse of what is in store for you.

Had the Egg ever spoken there would not have been a story. It is the mystery of how and why the Egg appears that drives our narrator Manny through the mazes he created for himself.

Now was that compelling enough to get you to order this book?

Of course not. Let me expound some more on what's inside these 84 pages. Caris has managed to create a story that questions our existence as humans as we know it. This my friends is the link to Jack Kerouac's ideas written 50 plus years ago in The Dharma Bums. Everything is everything. The continuum is what we call life. We plod along looking for the answers. Some of us look for the answers in science, others in religions and still others in philosophies etc. There is no answer and there are many answers. Which is right and which are wrong?

Caris is much too young to have watched anything but syndicated re-runs of episodes of Rod Sterling's Twilight Zone. But inside these 84 pages is an un-aired episode of this classic show. And given Caris's penchant for horror films it is no wonder this title, The Egg Said Nothing, fills the bill.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great but I will probably never get to read it. So, the next best thing is for you to "tell" me the whole story. Okay? Luv ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in luck since I know the author and when I tell him you are on a fixed income, he'll gladly part with a Pdf version you can read on your computer. Or when you visit this next month you can read it then.

    ReplyDelete

I have only a couple of requests, keep it civil, clean and no spam. Links to relevant content are encouraged.